Part of the France network

Tax residency rules Q&A’s with Blevins Franks

Posted on 14th March 2019


The French Property Exhibition at Wetherby Racecourse opens on 18 May and promises to be an informative day out for any potential French home-buyer. Rob Kay, senior partner of our sponsors Blevins Franks provides the answers to your queries.

Tax residency rules:


We have a second home in France and wondered what advice you could give to people who decide to stay in France, in our case Charente, rather than coming home within the ‘180 odd’ day rule. Is it exactly 180 days or 183? If people opt to stay longer in France than in the UK what would they have to do to comply with French law, taxes, paperwork, etc? We believe our pension would have a 16% tax rating which would be better than the UK. What action/ paperwork is necessary to comply at the present time? I believe if we choose principal ownership in France now and secondary in the UK, it might be an answer to Brexit uncertainty.

Judy Hastings


The tax residence rules in the UK and in France are complex and you have to look t each country’s legislation to determine which one has the right to treat you as tax resident. As a general rule, the country that you are resident in has the right to tax you on your worldwide income. The main test in France is not actually time-based; instead, you are considered tax resident if your main home is in France. This embraces ideas of permanence and stability and ignores temporary absences, and is the rule the French authorities will most rely on. The foyer is the place where your close family (i.e. spouse and minor children) habitually live.

You are also considered to be French resident if you spend more than 183 days in France per calendar year or if your principal activity is in France, e.g. occupation is in France (whether salaried or not), or your main income arises in France. Finally, you may be considered resident if France is the country where most of your substantial assets are located (centre of economic interests).

You also have to consider whether you remain UK tax resident under the UK Statutory Residence Test. The UK rules are even more complex than the French ones and depend on various different factors which are too wide to be covered here. It is possible that you are considered resident under both the UK and French
rules. In this case you have to refer to the UK/France double tax treaty to determine which country has the primary right to tax your income. If you do become French resident, most types of income will be taxable in France and some types of income may be taxable in both the and in

Rob Kay

Come and meet the team from Blevins Franks at the French Property Exhibition at Wetherby Racecourse on 18-19 May. Register now for your free tickets today

Stay up to date

Get our newsletter from French Property News and receive all the latest news straight into your inbox

Free Tickets

Register for tickets in advance for free, fast-track entry

Register online Get free tickets now