Top tips for a smooth move to France
Posted on 22nd April 2019
1. Start the ball rolling sooner rather than later and ideally contact international removals companies 3-4 months before your planned departure date.
2. Choose removals firms based on personal recommendation if possible but if not, look for removals companies who are members of the Fédération Internationale des Déménageurs Internationaux and who are also a member of the British Association of Removers Overseas Group.
3. Choose 3 suitable companies and ask all of them to give you a quote.
4. Discuss with your chosen company volumes and packing requirements, how they will get a lorry to your UK house and any access issues with your French house.
5. Think about insurance – many companies offer insurance that covers the cost of goods as well as the shipment but check whether this is covered if you pack the goods yourself rather than letting their trained packers do it.
6. Discuss any items you are concerned about with the company well in advance, for example pianos, plants, fine art, wine collections or antiques.
7. Appliances such as fridges, freezers dishwashers and washing machines should be disconnected, emptied and cleaned ready for loading.
8. Draw up a plan of your new home and mark on it where you want everything to go, and give the removals foreman a key so that if the lorry gets there before you, there won’t be any hold-ups.
9. On the day, make sure you have a kettle, with a French plug or a continental adaptor, mugs, tea bags, coffee, milk and sugar in an easily accessible box, so that once you are safely installed you can all sit down and raise a well-earned cuppa to your new life in France.
To find out more about coordinating your move to France, don’t miss the French Property Exhibition at Olympia London on 25-26 January.